FREQUENCY OF LEUKOCYTOSIS IN NEW ONSET ATRIAL FIBRILLATION

Authors

  • Muhammad Furrakh Maqbool
  • Shafiq Ur Rehman
  • Ahmed Noeman
  • Burhan Ul Muhammad Saqib

Abstract

Objective: To determine the frequency of leukocytosis in new onset atrialfibrillation patients presenting to a tertiary care cardiac centre.

Methodology: A single center, cross sectional survey conducted from May 2014to April 2015. Patients with new onset atrial fibrillation presenting to cardiologydepartment of Punjab Institute of Cardiology were included in the study afterfulfilling inclusion criteria. Blood samples were taken at admission for totalleukocyte count. Percentage of patients with new onset atrial fibrillation andleukocytosis was recorded.

Results: A total of 250 patients were included in the study . Mean age was54.1±4 years with 71.6% of patients were males. Among patients of atrialfibrillation, 25.6% of patients had leukocytosis while remaining 74.4% of patientshad normal leukocyte counts.

Conclusion: Frequency of leukocytosis is high in patients with new onset atrialfibrillation. Therefore all patients with new onset atrial fibrillation should bescreened for leukocytosis to rule out possible source of infection that can help inproper treatment and prevention of atrial fibrillation .

Downloads

Issue

Section

Original Article